Friday, September 7, 2007

Coney Island Lifeguard Saves Baby.... Shark



There's been some pretty heinous news lately that got me angry as Hell and made me incredibly depressed. Animals getting tortured, cyclists getting broadsided, and the environment in a general state of BOHICA and TARFU.

Every now and then I'll read a rare gem of a story that will bring a tear to my eye and make me believe that maybe things aren't so bad and there are everyday heroes. While Coney Island may be changing (there are plans underway to replace the Astroland amusement park by 2011), the beach will always be part of New York City history. Just this past Monday, Lifeguard Marius Mironescu saw a crowd of people on the beach surrounding a baby 2-foot sand shark. According to the New York Daily News article (via The Goat), Mr. Mironescu knew he had to do something to help.

"There must have been 75 to 100 people circled around the shark in the water and they were bugging out. They were holding on to it and some people were actually hitting him, smacking his face. Well, I wasn't going to let them hurt the poor thing," he said. He took the shark and swam with it until he let it free.

Wow. Thank you, Marius Mironescu. You have made my day.

No comments: